Episode #211: Julie Novack, “We Know Who Works Together…We Can Amplify Those Real World Relationships…That Is Such A Powerful Network Effect”
Guest: Julie Novack is the CEO and co-founder of PartySlate, a content-rich marketplace that connects people planning events with leading event professionals and venues. PartySlate approaches the event planning industry from a fresh angle by offering planning professionals a digital platform to showcase their work and build their brands.
Date Recorded: 2/25/2020
To listen to Episode #211 on iTunes, click here
To listen to Episode #211 on Stitcher, click here
To listen to Episode #211 on Pocket Casts, click here
To listen to Episode #211 on Google Play, click here
To stream Episode #211, click here
Comments or suggestions? Email us Feedback@TheMebFaberShow.com or call us to leave a voicemail at 323 834 9159
Interested in sponsoring an episode? Email Justin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Summary: In episode 211 we welcome our guest, Julie Novack, the CEO and co-founder of PartySlate. We discuss the party planning industry and how PartySlate is bringing something entirely different to the table with its content-rich platform and transparent crediting.
We get into the frustration Julie faced logging hours online trying to plan a high-profile cancer research gala, and how that experience ultimately led to the idea behind her company. We talk about the business model, growth plans, and her experience with startup incubator, Techstars.
Julie even offers thoughts on the future and some major trends she’s seeing take shape in the event planning industry.
All this and more, in episode 211 with Julie Novack.
Links from the Episode:
- 0:40 – Intro
- 1:41 – Welcome Julie Novack to the show
- 2:15 – An overview of PartySlate
- 3:51 – What it looks like to start planning a party on the PartySlate platform
- 8:59 – The social/visual aspects of the platform
- 11:04 – Best practices and things to avoid when looking to throw an event using the platform
- 13:43 – How often do people replicate what they see on the platform
- 15:25 – How party planners and other pros use the platform
- 19:32 – How does this industry look over the next 5-10 years?
- 22:46 – Improving silent auctions
- 23:51 – Origin story of the company and how it was built from scratch
- 26:59 – Going through Techstars
- 28:12 – Funding rounds for PartySlate
- 29:21 – Finding the right people for a startup
- 30:38 – Growth strategy
- 34:45 – Cities PartySlate operates in
- 35:20 – How the vision remained steady since its inception
- 36:59 – Top challenges to growing the platform
- 38:21 – Balance building a marketplace vs generating more revenue
- 40:59 – How the event industry is changing
- 44:28 – Useful resources
- 47:08 – Best event Julie ever went to
- 49:40 – PartySlate
Transcript of Episode 211: